Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure for more info.
How To Start a Profitable Blog
Today, you will learn how to easily start your own blog on WordPress. Having a Self-hosted WordPress blog has literally changed my life in many ways.
Thanks to blogging:
- I now earn a full-time income which helps to support my family.
- I am able to spend more time with my kid because I work from home so no more 9 -5 job hassle.
- I love to be able to help people because I know that they will benefit from many articles that I love to share!
- I am able to travel and blog from anywhere and have a flexible schedule… a dream job!
- My earning potential is unlimited because I am able to control the hours I spend with my blog and family and I love it!
As you can see having a blog can give you a lot of benefits in the short and long-run.
A lot of people might think that starting a blog could be quite difficult… but it is not! Let me tell you something…I was once that person that didn’t have a clue on how to start a blog or what I needed to start blogging. I had my doubts and I waited too long to start my own blog. Today, I can only can say that I wished I started my blogging journey sooner.
The best part of blogging: it is cheap to start!
The best part is that you can start a profitable blog for less than four dollars a month! I have included a discounted price with this tutorial so you can start your own blog for cheap! I worked with Bluehost to make sure you get the best pricing on hosting and a FREE domain.
Click here to start a blog on WordPress, then use the steps below for the easy directions.
How to Start a Money-Making Blog the Right Way
Before we go into more details, you need to know that anyone can make money with a blog. However, in order to earn a passive income from your blog, you will need to make a little bit of investment. This is the way to start a profitable blog. But don’t worry, because with a self-hosting blog you will be able to make the money back very quickly.
Can I just start a blog for free?
NO!… Don’t do that. There are so many reasons for why a Blogger/Blogspot blog is a really bad idea. If you are interested in ever making money off your blog, then paying for your hosting (through Bluehost for example) is a MUST. It’s extremely cheap to get started with Bluehost and you get a FREE domain. The best part is that you can run any of your own advertisements, affiliate links, product sales, etc. with a blog using Bluehost.
Making money on Blogger, Blogspot or any other free blogging platform is very difficult and in many cases never happens. Many advertisers and companies tend to run away from Blogger websites because they don’t view them as professional self-hosted WordPress blogs. This is why I highly recommend using Bluehost to anyone who wants to start a profitable blog.
In case that you already started with Blogger or any other free blogging platform, you can easily transfer your blog to a self-hosted platform such as Bluehost.
So, to avoid any future hassles and start off with the right foot you can start your blog with WordPress here.
Top Reasons Why you Want to Choose Bluehost for your WordPress Blog:
- Bluehost it is very easy to use. You can create a WordPress Blog with their 1-click installation. You don’t need to be tech savvy to do this.
- Bluehost offers 24/7 technical support (even if you need them at 3 a.m or on a holiday weekend, they will be there for you!).
- Bluehost is extremely affordable. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $3.95 per month.
- When you sign up through my link you will get a FREE blog domain.
- Bluehost offers you FREE WordPress.
- Bluehost offers a 30-day money back guarantee in case you decide that it isn’t for you. Your satisfaction is their top priority.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to make money from your blog, then you will want to be self-hosted.
- You will look much more professional to readers, companies, and everyone else who comes across your blog. Having your own self-hosted blog on Bluehost will give you instant credibility contrary to being on a free blog platform.
As you can see there are many reasons to start a self-hosted blog with Bluehost. There are other companies out there but honestly, Bluehost is one of the best and I trust them with my blog. Also, many bloggers who make money from blogging are using a self-hosted WordPress blog and the majority of them are with Bluehost. If you sign up for Bluehost, but you are confused for any reason at all, do not hesitate to send me an email. I will do my best to help you out!
How to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost
Step 1. Purchase your Hosting Account
You can click here to purchase a domain name and create your blog, then follow the steps below for the easy directions.
Click the green Get Started Now button at Bluehost to get started.
Then, you will be directed to the following screen to select your plan. Choose the basic plan, this package is all you really need for now. You can always upgrade your plan later to a different one if you want to. At this moment, you don’t need to sign up for anything that you do not need.
Step 2. Register your Domain Name
The first thing you need to do when starting your blog on WordPress with Bluehost is to choose the name for your blog. Think about a name that it is related to your niche, something easy to remember, it doesn’t have to be long or catchy. A simple and short name would be enough. Also, you can start by simply using your own name, a lot of people do it and it is perfectly fine.
Try using a domain name with the “.com” at the end. By choosing your blog’s name with the “.com” at the end your readers will find it easier to remember.
Type your domain name under the “new domain” box (left side). Here, you also have the opportunity to transfer an existing domain.
Next, enter your account information and choose your account plan. Here, you have the option to choose different plans. The cheapest plan is 36 month for only $3.95 per month. You also have the option to choose a 12-month plan, although it will cost you a little bit more per month. Just keep in mind that Bluehost will require you to pay one time upfront.
Here, I highly recommend the “Domain Privacy Protection” option. This will keep all your personal information private. Don’t worry about the other options, you don’t need it to start your blog. You can always purchase them later by login into your Bluehost account.
Next, fill in your payment information. Read and agree their terms and condition, and click submit.
Now, at this point, you have your self-hosted account and a registered domain name! Follow step 3 to install WordPress.
Step 3: Install WordPress
Follow this instruction to install WordPress:
- Log into your Bluehost cPanel Account (you will receive this link in your welcome email from Bluehost).
- Once there, click on the WordPress icon under Website (the icon named “Install WordPress”).
- On the next screen, click the “Start” button. This will begin the installation.
- On the next screen, Click the dropdown menu and select the domain name you’ve registered with Bluehost. Then click the “Check Domain” button.
- Next, check the “Show Advance Options” and fill out the required information. In this step, you will create a username and password to use it with WordPress. Important: Save this information, you will need it every time to create a post or modify your website.
- Make sure the option “Automatically create a new database for installation” is checked.
- Check the box “I have read the terms and conditions of the GPLv2“.
- Then, click the “Install Now” button.
- You will receive an email with your username and password, which you can use to login to your WordPress dashboard.
Congratulations, you did it!! Now you can start blogging!
Go ahead and check your email account to get your URL, username, and password to log in. Keep your credentials safe. To log in to your Dashboard on WordPress, just copy the URL and then enter username and password. Your URL will look like this: “www.yourblogname.com/wp-admin”
General Tips for How to Navigate WordPress
- There is a difference between a post and a page. A post will usually be almost every article you want to add to your blog. A page is something like “About” or “Contact” page
- To add and create new posts: click on “Posts” on the left-hand side when you are logged in. If you want to add a page, simply click on “Page.”
- If you want to add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side, then upload your image from the computer.
- You can go to “Appearance,” on the left-hand side of your dashboard then “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and so on.
- If you are looking for a way to send newsletters or emails to your readers, I recommend Convertkit. With Convertkit, you can easily create subscription boxes and landing pages
- If you are looking into the actual design of your blog, Genesis is the most popular. Also, there are free themes through WordPress you can use, too. When you are logged into your WordPress website go to “Appearance” on the left-hand side and click on “Themes,” then activate whichever one you are interested in testing out. By doing this, you can start designing your website easily!
- Another option would be to buy a premade blog design. Here are some nice and user-friendly themes that you can look at:
- Also, I love themes from Pretty Darn Cute Design . You will find great premade designs for just $49 and this is probably the easiest and quickest design option.
For more information about the blogging tools I use on this blog feel free to check out my “Top Must Have Recommended Blogging Resources” page.
Now you are ready to write your first post and start blogging!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to start a WordPress blog with Bluehost. Also, please feel free to share it with someone else!