Teaching English online could be a rewarding career especially if you are looking for ways to increase your income.
The best part of teaching English online is that you can do it from the comfort of your own home or from anywhere! This type of job is perfect for stay at home moms, teachers looking to supplement their income or any qualified person looking for a side hustle!
If you think teaching English online can be a great side job then keep reading because VIPKID might be the opportunity you were looking for!
- 10 Amazing Ways To Make Extra Money For Christmas
- 9 Real Work From Home Jobs to Start Today
- How To Make Money From Home As A Bookkeeper
- How To Make $300 a Month of Extra Income
- 7 Easy Ways to Make Extra Money Now
VIPKID, is a leading company that provides teaching English to children in China between the ages 4-12. The company provides students with a fully immersive 1:1 online English language experience. Their students meet with American teachers three times a week in an online classroom, which gives both students and teachers flexibility.
What are the requirements?
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- At least 1 school year of traditional teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education
- Desktop or Laptop (including camera and a use of a headset with microphone) and high-speed internet connection.
- Have fun teaching engaged children
What is the pay?
- Teachers receive a minimum payment of US $14-$18/hour. There are incentives for every lesson, so the payment ranges from US $14-22/hour.
- Earning Up to $2,000 per month
- Teachers are paid through direct bank deposits between the 10th and 15th of each month.
- 6-month contract. Teachers will be re-evaluated for a raise at the point of renewal.
- Lesson plans, course materials, etc. all provided
How many hours per week can I work?
According to VIPKID, to maximize the number of scheduled classes they recommend teachers be available at least 7.5 hours (15-time slots per week at 30 minutes per time slot) during Beijing peak times. Beijing peak times are usually: Monday – Friday 6-10pm, and Saturday – Sunday 9am-10pm.
Although the company does not require teachers to work full time they suggest availability on the times mentioned above. This is because teachers will have more chances to be booked by students.
Also, there is no limit on how much a teacher teaches during peak and non-peak time. Teachers have 100% control over their schedule.
Here are the hours with Beijing peak times converted to US times:
What is the application process like?
Here is how the application process work:
What are the reasons to work for VIPKID?
Here are the 4 Top reasons to work as an English Teacher with VIPKID:
- Convenience and Flexibility: You have availability to add your own schedule and work from home! They recommend teachers to be available to teach at least 7.5 hours per week. This can easily be split between weekends, or weekdays at night or any other time your schedule allows it.
- Feel Supported: Teachers receive support before, during and after class. Meaning that they are provided with lesson plans, technical support, and a large logistic team that supports teachers’ needs or requirements.
- Made by Educators for Educators: “VIPKID’s team truly cares about student learning because we are educators at the core. Join a dedicated and passionate education community.”-VIPKID
- Be the bridge between two cultures without leaving home: You have the opportunity to teach Chinese children not only the language but also transmit American culture and tradition. Besides, you will be able to learn more about the Chinese. So, it is a great reciprocal program!
Do teachers need to prepare materials?
According to VIPKID, the company team prepares materials for every class. Teachers are able to review the class materials in the classroom 6-12 hours in advance, so they can be prepared and ready for teaching each class.
How do teachers transmit lessons to their students?
“We believe that there is a better, more effective way to teach a foreign language: through curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity.” -VIPKID
Here are 5 simple strategies utilized by teachers in classrooms:
- Intonation: The usage of voice variation techniques in order to keep students engaged and curious about the vocabulary.
- Energy/ Enthusiasm: Teachers show excitement about the lesson content and this is transmitted to students creating interest about the lecture.
- Props: The recommended props are play cards, teddy bear, finger puppets or common household items usually work too. However, there is no need to invest in props, you can use what is around you in order to engage the student.
- Student TPR: Doing actions along with the words will help the students create associations and remember the target vocabulary.
- Student output: Asking questions to students to keep awake and interested in every lesson.
Here are some teachers testimonials!
Are you interested in becoming an Online English teacher? Do you think this could be a great side hustle for you?
Like this post? Share it!
My Top Favorite Resources:
Swagbucks: This is my favorite survey site where you can make extra money every single day. With Swagbucks, you earn SB points each time you answer surveys, search the web, shop online, play games, watch videos and more! Then you can redeem your accumulated SB points and convert them into cash via Paypal or gift cards. You have the opportunity to earn up to $35 per survey. So, it is definitely an option to try. Receive a free $5 bonus just for signing up today through my link here.
Pinecone Research: This is another great survey company where you can make extra money in your free time. The best part is that you can earn $3.00 per survey. Like other survey sites, you earn points for every completed survey. Then, you can redeem your points for cash or prizes. The redemption of points includes Paypal, Prepaid VISA cards, e-vouchers, gift cards and more. You can sign up for Pinecone Research here.
Ibotta is an app that allows you to save money on groceries, clothing, restaurants, gas stations, pharmacies and more! If you are brand new to Ibotta then you can get a $10 sign-up bonus with this link using the referral code: WIKIJSJ, after submitting your first rebate. Click here to sign up for Ibotta and claim your $10 after you redeem your first rebate.
$5 Meal Plan: if your goal is to save time and money on meal planning and prepping then the $5 meal plan is perfect for you! After registering, the plan is only $5 per month (after the 14-day trial period!). They will send you straight to your inbox the meal plan for the week and the exact shopping list you will need to make the meals. Every meal will cost approximate $2 or less to make. It will definitely save you a lot of time and money. You can start the 14-day free trial here.