This article may contain links from our partners. We may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through a link, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Have you ever thought about teaching English online? Teaching English online as a second language can be a rewarding opportunity for many English speakers.
These days, the online English teaching market is getting a lot of attention and it is growing fast. Gaining a valuable experience, having a flexible schedule and no commuting are some of the benefits of having this remote job.
Not too long ago, I was approached by VIPKID, an online English teaching education platform, with a great opportunity that is worth sharing because I know many of you can benefit from it.
By becoming a VIPKID online English teacher, you’ll have the opportunity to work from the comfort of your own home, earn money, enjoy a supported environment, and learn more about other culture.
If you think teaching English online can be a great way to earn money, then keep reading because VIPKID might be the opportunity you were looking for!
- 9 Real Work From Home Jobs to Start Today
- How To Make Money From Home As A Bookkeeper
- How To Make $300 a Month of Extra Income
- 7 Easy Ways to Make Extra Money Now
- 10 Ways To Make Money As A Stay At Home Mom
WHAT IS VIPKID?
VIPKID, is an online English teaching education platform that allows children in China, between ages 4-12, to take online classes from English speaker teachers.
Teachers provide their English classes with a fully immersive 1:1 online English language experience. By teaching English online, teachers can deliver these classes from the comfort of their own home or from anywhere in the world while traveling.
The students meet with teachers three times a week in an online classroom, which gives both students and teachers flexibility.
WHO IS BEST SUITED TO WORK FOR VIPKID?
- People who want to earn extra money from home without commuting.
- Stay at home moms or parents that are looking for ways to work from home and earn money.
- Professionals looking for an opportunity to earn extra money while working from home or anywhere in the world.
- Teachers that are looking for ways to increase their current income.
- Retired teachers or professionals that would like to earn extra money without a brick and stone classroom.
- Anyone that enjoys teaching and is looking for a flexible schedule.
Check out what real VIPKID teachers say about the opportunity:
“I am able to live that dream I had about being a stay-at-home mom, earn an income, and continue fulfilling my love for teaching young children. There is only one reason that I am able to do all of this and that is because of VIPKID!” – Ashley W.
“VIPKID is an amazing opportunity for teachers who, like myself, has to take a hiatus for whatever reason, or even for those teachers that want a little extra income on the side.” – Donna D.
“This year I taught with VIPKID, an it has been amazing! I get to teach, but I don’t spend hours planning. The curriculum has an engaging scope and sequence. I get to teach students who are dedicated, attentive, and focused!” – Tresha R.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AS AN ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHER FOR VIPKID
- Earn between $18-$22 per hour working from home.
- You can work from home or anywhere.
- It is flexible. You’ll have the opportunity to set your own schedule, which it is very convenient when working from home.
- You can choose your own hours based on your schedule
- All materials are provided! Lesson plans, course materials, and a big logistic support is provided to all teachers.
- No grading required!
- Short time classes. Lesson are between 25-30 minutes long.
- Great bonus incentives.
- Learn more about the Chinese culture.
- Opportunity to join a supportive Facebook group. You can share your ideas and help other teachers within the community
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO BECOME AN ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHER FOR VIPKID?
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- Any “formal” or “informal” teaching experience such as homeschooling, mentoring, tutoring, coaching, or alternative education.
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada.
Other requirements that are good to know:
- Have a desktop or laptop (including camera and a use of a headset with microphone).
- Have reliable internet connection.
- Available to teach at Beijing time.
HOW MUCH MONEY CAN YOU EARN WITH VIPKID AS AN ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHER?
- Teachers receive a minimum payment of US $14-18 an hour. There are incentives for every lesson, this means that payment ranges from US $14-22 an hour.
- There are potential earnings of up to $2,000 per month.
- The pay is through direct bank deposits between the 10th and 15th of each month.
- Teachers will be evaluated for a raise at the point of renewal.
WHAT IS THE HIRING PROCESS LIKE?
- Register and apply online here.
- Participate in a one-on-one interview or recorded interview. Here, you’ll have a 30-min session where you can showcase your teaching skills. You’ll also have the alternative to record a demo lesson at your convenience and get evaluated by a VIPKID recruiter.
- Introduction to teaching. You will have the chance to learn the teaching methods, curriculum, and more information about the use of their platform through their videos.
- Mock Class: You’ll have the opportunity to practice your teaching skills with one of their VIPKID teachers.
- Sign Contract. VIPKID provides a 6-month contract with the potential of renewal after an evaluation. You’ll also need to send your information so your profile can be booked by VIPKID students.
- Set your available times on your VIPKID portal so you can get booked by students and start teaching!
HOW DO TEACHERS TRANSMIT LESSONS TO THEIR STUDENTS?
Here are 5 simple strategies utilized by teachers in classrooms:
- Intonation: The usage of voice variation techniques in order to keep students engaged and curious about the vocabulary.
- Energy/ Enthusiasm: Teachers show excitement about the lesson content and transmit it to students, creating interest about the lecture.
- Props: The recommended props are play cards, teddy bears, finger puppets or common household items which usually work, too. However, there is no need to invest in props, you can use what is around you in order to engage the student.
- Student TPR: Doing actions along with the words will help the students create associations and remember the target vocabulary.
- Student output: Asking questions to students to keep them awake and interested in every lesson.
If you are looking for a job that allows you to earn money while having a flexible schedule and working from home or anywhere in the world, then VIPKID could be the perfect job opportunity for you.
Teaching English online to Chinese students through VIPKID is definitely a great choice for anyone that loves teaching, tutoring or mentoring others.
Working as an online English teacher for VIPKID, you will not only have plenty of support from the company but also enjoy the chance of setting your own schedule while working from the comfort of your own home.
Are you interested in becoming an Online English teacher? Do you think this could be a great side job?
Like this post? Share it!